Thursday, February 15, 2007

Social Networking Goes Mobile

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, it happens. I'm of course referring to the fact that now, according to this CNN Technology article: http://www.cnn.com/2007/BUSINESS/02/14/barcelona.boulden2/index.html
technology executives in Barcelona are developing social networking sites designed specifically for mobile phones. As if social networking isn't already big enough. Seriously, is it so bad that people can't even wait before they get back to a computer before they check their profile? Social networking online is already doing a great job of usurping precious time from people, so do we really need the ability to access social networking from our phones now too? As enticing as this sounds, I would think that this wouldn't become too popular because I imagine when using a phone for such a thing there would be some limitations and sacrifices to be made (cell phones don't have easy to type on computer keyboards). Ah, I remember the days when a phone was used to actually call other people. I just hope that in the wake of all these new additions and advancements that they don't forget to program in the calling feature into the phone, but I wouldn't worry too much about this because after all, it seems to be becoming obsolete.

1 comment:

Metallicinflux said...

I agree wholeheartedly that social networking will have limited success on cell phones. I feel the strongest fact of the matter is the limited typing ability caused by the keypad. It's a shame that people will be even more obsessed with their cell phones than what they are now. Granted I'm addicted now, but to be addicted more? That is a scary thought.